The Real Thing? Eau dear!
How important water is compared to Coke (and Diet coke).
Here is some important and potentially useful information.
It may lack the sexiness of NLP or the pizzazz of accelerated learning, and yet it is, for those of us in the richer parts of the world, generally, readily and cheaply available; water!
We all know that water is important but you may not have fully realised how important it is in the context of learning and teaching. Many of the parents I talk to are unaware of these facts. They are also often parenting children who drink lots of carbonated drinks, or drinks containing colourings, additives and sugar.
Even if not news to you, the details set out below are worth printing out and giving to anyone who wants to increase the energy and efficiency of students and teachers.
Sugar not only rots the teeth, of course, but contributes significantly to undulations of energy with concomitant mood swings. Increasingly, we are aware of children’s addictions to certain foodstuffs (I use the term in its loosest sense) and subsequent suffering from allergic reactions. Wheat and dairy in particular can produce allergic and possibly worse reactions.
Gluten is a protein substance left over when starch is removed from cereal grains. It adds cohesiveness to dough, which, along with the very name – gluten - indicates what its effects might be. Casein, a protein precipitated from milk, is used in making plastics and adhesives. Many babies have an early reaction to casein, or at least a derivative, when nurses stick rubber-clad fingers into their mouths, often during the first moments of life!
Three quarters of British people are severely dehydrated. (Perhaps this is statistic applies to half the human race!)
The thirst mechanism is so weak in 37% of British that it is often mistaken for hunger.
Even MILD dehydration will slow down the organic processes that are necessary for life itself, ie one’s metabolism, by as much as 3%.
One glass of water shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a Washington study.
A No 1 trigger of daytime fatigue is the Lack of water.
Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for eight out of ten sufferers.
A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the printed page or a computer screen.
Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.
- How much water do you drink each day?
- Is water regularly available and easily accessible for students?
No wonder coke tastes soooo good:
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and...Let the “real thing” sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.
4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of aluminium foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminium foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, And run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.
For your information:
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its Ph is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4days.
2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.
3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20years!
Still want the Real Thing??